Antique Emergency Truck







History of the Antique

The death of a child in 1953 motivated local residents to raise funds for a rescue vehicle to be given to the Warrenville Fire Department. Having this vehicle would help in better servicing the community. In 1954 the V.F.W. post and Ladies Auxiliary decided that a fund raiser should be held in order to fund this vehicle. Tickets were sold for a talent show that was to be held on a Saturday night at the Warrenville Community Building. Residents purchased so many tickets that a decision was made that a second show would be held the same night. This talent show consisted of local men and women modeling all types of clothing and some chose dance competition. Two shows performed in one night raised $1000.00, which was enough money to purchase the 1955 Chevrolet panel truck from the local dealer "Behr Brothers Chevrolet". In the mid 1990's a group of current firefighter and Phoenix Auto Body worked together on the restoration of the vehicle. Great attention to detail was of utmost importance to ensure the vehicle would look as close to original as possible. The V.F.W. sticker on the front doors was reproduced an installed to show and remind everyone what can happen when a community works together.