The Warrenville Fire Protection District (WFPD) is a special, limited purpose, unit of local government. Fire protection districts are authorized by the Illinois Fire Protection District Act, first enacted in 1927. The WFPD is a separate legal entity from the City of Warrenville, and, as can be seen from the map (click here for map) its boundaries are slightly larger than the City’s. WFPD’s responsibilities include fire prevention and suppression, rescue, and emergency medical services. Via the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS), WFPD assists and receives assistance from other area fire departments.
The WFPD is governed by a five person board of trustees. The board is responsible for the financial and administrative aspects of the district. The board’s responsibilities include writing and approving the yearly budget and tax levy; planning and approving purchases, including major purchases, such as new vehicles and equipment; appointing the fire chief and firefighters; determining compensation for district employees; and writing and passing ordinances.
Area of Service
The Warrenville Fire Protection District is located 24 miles due west of Chicago in the west central portion of DuPage County. The fire district covers 18 square miles of residential, commercial and medium high rise buildings serving a population of 20,000 residents that increases with a daytime labor composition of 40,000 people within the fire district.
- The Warrenville Fire Protection District is a full function all hazard first responder combination fire department consisting of fulltime, part-time and Paid-On-Call firefighters. There are six firefighter/paramedics on duty at all times supplemented by Paid-On-Call firefighters for extra coverage.
- One Fire Station
- Three Engines (One ALS unit)
- One Tower Ladder
- Two Advance Life Support ambulances (ALS)
- One medium size dive truck with zodiac boat
- Three utility vehicles for command and fire marshal duties
Specialized Response Teams
- Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (M.A.B.A.S.) Division 16
- M.A.B.A.S. 16 Hazardous Materials Team
- M.A.B.A.S. 16 Dive/Water Rescue Team
- M.A.B.A.S. 16 Technical Rescue Team (T.R.T.)
- DuPage County Fire Investigation Task Force
- SWAT Medics
Authorized Positions: (Full Time Line Personnel and Office Staff)
- Fire Chief
- 2 Assistant Chiefs
- Fire Marshal
- Fire Inspector
- Full-time firefighter paramedics
- Administrative assistants
- Paid-On-Call / Part-time Firefighters
- Part-Time Fire Apparatus Mechanic